Open Science, aims to share knowledge between the scientific, general, and business communities. The goal is to boost awareness and the social and economic impact of science.
One of the principal mechanisms of Open Science is Open Access.
What does the FCT Open Access say about publications?
– It requires the deposit in open access in the RCAAP network (Scientific Open Access Scientific Repositories of Portugal) of repositories: in the case of ICNOVA, materials are filed with RUN – Institutional Repository of Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (member of RCAAP), and authors are required make reference to their ICNOVA affiliation.
The NOVA University of Lisbon also has the public NOVA Research Portal that enables specialists and the general public to find out about all Research units and laboratories, as well as the investigators and the scientific knowledge produced at the university.
The portal display university researcher content in the NOVA Research Information System (PURE).
– It allows for embargo periods, depending on the publication.
– It requires investigators to mention any FCT financing.
– It demands that final versions—those published when the publishing house permits such or, alternatively, the author’s final version accepted for publication—be held on file. The Sherpa Romeo tool can be used to check the version to be submitted, but the publisher’s editorial policy as issued on their website must be complied with and/or the terms agreed upon with the publisher must be followed.
– Master’s and doctoral theses must be filed at RUN – Repository of Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (RUN) and where they are available under the Creative Commons License.
How should financing be credited?
All publications by ICNOVA researchers financed by the institute’s multiannual budget must credit this funding.
When research has received financial support, the following statement must be included:
This work is financed by national funds from FCT – The Foundation for Science and Technology, IP, within the scope of the project Ref: UIDB / 05021/2020/ / ICNOVA.
When there is no financial support, the following text should appear:
This work is supported by national funds from FCT – The Foundation for Science and Technology, IP, within the scope of the Multi-Annual Financing of the Communication Institute of NOVA 2020-2023 (which includes the basic financing installments, with reference UIDB / 05021/2020, / 05021/2020 and programmatic financing, with reference UIDP / 05021/2020).
When additional financing has been supplied by other projects or entities, references to funding must include said sources and researchers should adapt the above statements to reflect the existence or not of financial support.
What advantages does this deposit bring to researchers?
– It constitutes compliance with funding requirements.
– It constitutes compliance with NOVA University of Lisbon requirements.
– It provides greater visibility and potentially greater impact.
– It disseminates knowledge of usage statistics.
– It guarantees digital preservation of work.
– It enables access to researchers’ bibliographies.
– It facilitates the listing work on researchers’ Ciência Vitae and in ORCID.
– It demands that researchers’ ICNOVA institutional affiliation be explicitly listed, otherwise the work cannot be filed in RUN.
Why should I agree to make my data available in open access?
A large number of funding agencies have been issuing recommendations on the availability of data.
What advantages does it bring to ICNOVA researchers?
– It constitutes compliance with financing agency requirements
– It increases research visibility and impact
– It boosts researcher capacity to attract financing and support.
– It enables investigators to attract new collaborations.
– It increases transparency.
– It fosters debate.
– It enables the reuse of data.
– It increases data citations.
– It promotes data preservation.
What advantages does it bring to ICNOVA?
– It increases researcher visibility.
– It augments transparency,
– It constitutes FCT policy compliance.
– It represents compliance with international good practices.
What does the FCT Open Access say about FCT data?
– It encourages researchers to make R&D project data available in Open Access databases.
– It encourages researchers to include a management plan for data and other research results in their funding applications.
Where can I make my data available in open access?
To make the data available, you can use PURE.